July 4, 2022

DHS Removes 1,401 Migrants to Haiti

 

The Department of Homeland Security says that 1,401 transients have been taken out to Haiti somewhat recently. The number is altogether lower than it was only weeks prior when there were more than 5,000 excess in the Del Rio Border Patrol Station.

In a statement from DHS, officials said that they began with a list of around 3,000 migrants who were still in the country after crossing illegally into the U.S. through Mexico, but that number has now been reduced to just over 1,400 after confirming their countries of origin and removing them.

The 1,401 removals included 396 individuals who were returned to Haiti, 413 to Brazil, 367 to Guatemala, 454 to El Salvador and 76 in total to countries in Asia, including China.

Officials said they are working with the Haitian government to help return migrants who do not have a claim for asylum in the U.S., but would not say how many have been returned there so far or what is being done to keep them safe from potential harm upon returning home.

Hoffman refused to give a figure for the number of migrants who are still at large in the country. He said he did not know if they were being protected by any outside groups or smugglers, but officials have said previously that there are reports of some people hiding in safe houses when they are returned.

The DHS official said that there was not a target number of migrants to be deported, but they were working hard to make sure the minimal #DACA population is removed first.

“There’s no target number. We are looking at our list and we’re trying to see who should be returned. We’re making that judgement based on what’s in front of us,” Hoffman said.

The DHS official also insisted that there is not a backlog of children or migrants who have been separated from their families at the border. He said that all of those cases have been reviewed and they are using DNA testing to make sure children are returned to the custody of the correct parents, even if they were originally released into the country with no adult supervision.

“We do have a functioning populace that we’re working on that we’ve been dealing with for a brief period and we keep on working through that,” Hoffman said when gotten some information about the act of delivering youngsters into other backers’ consideration.

He also announced Thursday that they will begin using other technology to help them identify individuals who have been denied entry due to their criminal history, which may include fingerprints or electronic photos taken on their way into the country.

He also announced that DHS is planning to deploy more Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers to the border states in response to an order by President Trump, who rescinded Obama-era protections for illegal immigrants earlier this week.